Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Listen to Your Heart Tag ~ Robin's Nest DT Project

Well, Valentine's Day is almost upon us and I have just one more post for the season.  I decided to try my hand a mixed media art (so don't laugh at my attempt, k?).  I follow several YouTubers who do mixed media art and I think I've been bitten by the bug. 

Before I share my project, let me share The Robin's Nest current sale.  The tear shaped dew drops are 20% off this month.  Be sure to check out the new shapes, sizes and colors!  You can check out the store here to find these and other great products.  Remember, sale time is always a good time to stock up. 

 
 

I started by gathering my supplies which consisted of several Robin's Nest Paper scraps of the following papers:  Glitter White on White, Glitter Letters, Black and White Glitter Border Swirl, Damask Black and White, and Red Glitter Swirl on Red.  Then I pulled out my tear shaped dew drops and chose some red, pink and black for this project.


I had some gesso and I had some gel medium, but I didn't have any modeling paste.  So, what do you do if you are home with a sick child and can't leave the house to go buy supplies?  You make them of course!  I googled and found a recipe for homemade modeling paste (1/2 C. baking soda or talc, 2 T. white glue and 2 T. white paint).  I had to play with the mixture to get it the right consistency (I added much more glue than 2T. to get it right, but it DID work - yay!).


 
I started with a large manila tag that I sprayed with shimmer mist and began gluing some music note tissue paper I had on-hand.  Then I began to arrange my scraps of Robin's Nest paper randomly and added some chipboard pieces and tear shaped dew drops using my homemade modeling paste.
 

 
After that, everything got a coat of gesso and then more shimmer mists in various pinks and reds.
 
 
Then I stamped some Valentine's words and quotes (Love, Heart, and Listen to Your Heart).
 
 
Then, more colors, some ribbon and a few small embellishments and VOILA!  What do you think?
 



 
Be sure to hop over to the Robin's Nest Website to check out the fab products.  Keep checking back here for more great projects using Robin's Nest products!
 
Thanks for checking out my very first mixed media art project.  I intended to add a picture to make it a layout, but even with the large tag I ended up with no room for my picture (me and my hubby); I'll have to plan better for next time.  Until then happy scrapping.
 
~ Make Today Count
 
Wendy
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment