Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hello Kitty Smash Book Insert ~ Robin's Nest Design Team Post

Today's post is to show the versatility of The Robin's Nest papers.  There are times when you have a specific theme you have to stick with no matter what.  I find that no matter what my theme, I can find the right color paper (and usually with some glitter - yay!) to go with my project.  This is my friend's daughter's birthday party.  The theme is Hello Kitty, so of course, my gift is Hello Kitty.  I found a super cute smash book journal at my local craft store, but it needed some altering before I could give it as a gift.  I will probably show some of the pages later on my blog, but for today I will show you the fun insert I made using the following Robin's Nest products:

 
 
As you can see, I created a belly band page that needed an insert.  I chose The Robin's Nest Pink Crackle Cardstock (link above) because of the color, the weight, the glitter and the fact that it is two-sided.  Because I wanted the insert to open like a book, it needed to be two-sided.  Because it will be a stand-alone mini album, the cardstock needs to be a good weight that can handle the wear and tear, but it needed to be pretty . . . this one meets all of those requirements!  I had some Hello Kitty die cuts that I needed to work into the insert and into the journal, so I chose the Iridescent Blue Glitter cardstock to accent and I think it works beautifully. 
 
To begin, I cut my 12x12 paper down to an inch smaller than the height of my book (9" in this case).  Then I used my scoring board to score it down the center and fold in half like a book.  I saved the piece I cut off to use as photo mats.
 
 
Using both the pink and the blue paper (along with my die cuts), I created photo mats for the front and for the inside of my mini album insert.
 

 
I finished it up with some ribbon, some Pink Glitter Letter stickers and some mini dew drops (corners of photo mats and Kitty's bow center).  I also went through my journal and added mini dew drops EVERYWHERE!  They were the perfect size for many of the bow centers.  Take a look at the 3D embellishment below (mini dew drop bow):
 
 
 
While I used the Pink Crackle cardstock, the link above takes you to the page where you will find all of the colors available.  I just love the versatility of this paper.  It can be mere crackle, but it can be used with beach paper to look like coral or with cowboy paper (the darker colors) to look like barbed wire.  As an accent or the main focus, this paper fits the bill.  So the next time you are having trouble finding just the right paper for a specific theme project, pull out your Robin's Nest two-sided, glitter cardstock and I'll bet you will find just what you need.  If you don't have an assortment on hand, fly over to their website and stock up!
 
This month we are also partnering with Epiphany Crafts.  This was my first chance to work with their products and I have to say I really enjoyed the ease with which I was able to create a quick and easy backpack hanger to go with this gift.
 
As you can see from the pictures below, I came together super fast.  I am hooking it onto the mini album/insert, but am hoping she will remove it and use it as a backpack hanger!
 
 
 
 
Thanks for stopping by to view my project.  Don't forget to leave me a comment to let me know you've been here. 
 
~ Make Today Count
Wendy
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment