Saturday, September 1, 2012

School Days ~ Robin's Nest DT Post

Well, it's officially the last weekend of summer vacation.  School starts Wednesday (ugh!) . . . So here's my Schools Days project (okay, so I'm finally getting to scrapping 1st grade and my son is going into 3rd . . . but hey, I'm doing it lol.




So I started the way I always start. I chose my paper and what embellishments I thought I might use from my Robin's Nest stash.  Check out the Robin's Nest website for some fabulous products!  The paper I ended up using is Red Fat Plaid, Glitter Brown Animal Print, and solid cardstock to match.  The embellishments I chose were Red Apple Die Cuts, Apple Paper Clips, and the chalkboard (which I love, love, love!). 


 
I decided I was going to make a mini album (because that's my all time favorite thing to make).  The base of my album is two pieces of chipboard 6" x 4.75" (please ignore my messy craft mat - I am not a clean crafter, much to my husband's dismay).
 
 
Next I inked up the edges of my chipboard with red ink (you could use paint or chalk or any form of color that works for you - or leave it raw).  Then I added some Robin's Nest Glitter Brown Animal Print for my first layer. 
 
 
 
I punched two holes at the top of each cover (one inch from the each edge and a quarter of an inch down) and added extra large eyelets for a finished look.
 
 
 
Next I added a layer of solid card stock followed by the Red Fat Plaid patterned paper (perfect for those school themed layouts or albums).   I wrote on the chalkboard with a white distress pen and added a pencil and piece of chalk I made myself.  Both are created from a bamboo skewer which I have cut in pieces.  The chalk I simply painted white and it is the perfect addition to the fun, fun, fun chalkboard.  Can you tell how much I love the chalkboard - lol?
 
 
The pencil (zoom in on the picture below to get a closer look) was sharpened with a hand-held sharpener and painted yellow except for the tip and the eraser.  I colored the eraser with a red marker and the tip (lead) with a black marker.  To give it a finished look I used a little thin silver colored wire I had in my stash to wrap around where the eraser meets the pencil.  I love the way it turned out.  I simply glued the pencil to the top of the chalkboard.  To finish off my mini cover (I will add pages later) I added a stamped image of ABC blocks, a red apple paper clip (see the link above to purchase the set which comes with three colors), two binder rings and some ribbon.  Let me know what you think.  I am really pleased with how this turned out.
 
 
 
 
Visit the Robin's Nest Blog and check out some of the other designers' creations!  Thanks for taking a look at my School Days Mini Album cover.
 
~ Make Today Count
Wendy
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment