submission. Check out their Website and Blog:
Part 2 coming soon!
So, my 22nd wedding anniversary was this last weekend and I wanted to make something unique for my husband. I occurred to me that I still hadn't tried the Amazing Mold Putty I bought at CHA soooooo.... Here's what I came up with.
Because we live near the beach, we tend to have a lot of ocean/beach type decor in and outside of our home. I had this wooden box with four coasters in it and thought I would create something for my husband's bamboo bar. And, since he likes mermaids, I thought this would be a fun addition. I created the mermaid, the dolphin brooch and the broken sand dollar type flower by making molds and casting resin. Below are some step-by-step pictures along with some instructions on how I achieved the patina on this piece. Please feel free to message with any questions.
I started with this simple wooden box and three shapes I wanted to cast for the top.
After mixing the Amazing Mold Putty in equal parts (like playdoh - really easy) I pressed in my shapes (or in the case of the mermaid I molded the putty around the mermaid). I let sit about 10 minutes and voila . . . molds! It really is fun to create a mold and know you can make the item over and over again. The possibilities with making my own scrapbooking embellishments are mind-boggling!
Once I had the molds, I tried my hand at the resin. I did the mermaid first to make sure I mixed enough. Next I poured the brooch. I think I took too long making sure I got all of the edges of the brooch covered because when I went to pour the metal flower it was kind of gooey and chunky . . . but guess what? I used it anyway and loooove the way it came out; it's kind of organic looking (sort of like a broken sand dollar I think). So here are my three pieces.
I painted everything with a coat of black acrylic paint (including the wood pieces) and then everything again with some orange/coppery paint (just dry brushed here and there).
After the orange I dry brushed some dark teal green on everything.
Then a coat of sea foam (watered down a bit so as not to be so opaque) on everything.
I finished it off with some gold rub on the edges and raised areas of all pieces. I placed them where I wanted them and then then glued them on all with some E6000 glue.
I hope you try something like this yourself. You will be amazed at what you can do!
Ooops! I just realized that after I finished I thought it needed one more thing. I did the same paint technique on some drywall tape and added some torn pieces of it underneath and sticking out to look like fishing net. I will post an updated picture of that (I have to take it back and take another picture - lol).
Have a great day all.
~ Make it Count